Tuesday, 12 April 2016

An easy Dobby the House Elf DIY

So for World book day my little brother chose (after a little persuasion from me) to go as Dobby from Harry Potter. If you don't know who or what Dobby looks like where have you been?! 

 So that left me the task of creating his outfit, which was both easy and super fun.

What you'll need: 
  • Pillowcase
  • Pair of nude tights
  • 2 sheets of A4 felt 
  • Teabags
  • Gold pen
  • Sewing machine / Needle and thread
For the clothing: 
  1. Lay out the pillow case and at the top cut out a hole for the head
  2. Cut out two arm holes, while cutting off the top so you can tie up and create the knotted area. The good thing about this tutorial is that it doesn't need to be neat as Dobby is a little scruffy. 
  3. Get some teabags, dip them in warm water and dab over the pillowcase erratically. 


For the Ears: 
  • On the felt draw out the shape of Dobbys ears. I used a photo of the internet as a guide. I drew out one and drew round it, then flipped it to draw another two for the ears on the other side. 
  • Sew the two felt pieces of felt for the left together and do the same for the right ear. 
  • Draw on the ear outline, I used a gold pen for this but it can be any colour or you can even sew the outline on if you like. 
The bold cap/Hat part of the ears was the most difficult part, I used a sewing machine but I'd advice using a needle and thread as the tights are so delicate.
  • On the crotch of the tights, using the waist band to your advantage as where the head is going to go into, cut out a curved line to create a hat like template. 

Hopefully this little diagram helps

  • Pin your felt ears in between the cut you've just done (diagram above) and then sew along the cut, sewing your ears in. 
This is my first sewing/diy post so hopefully it's not to terrible and easy to understand. This is definitely something I'd like to per sue further. Whether it's on the blog or just creating character outfits for fun, I found I really enjoyed it. 

Love

2 comments:

  1. Fab thank you. Will be making for my two boys tomorrow. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! I'd love to know/see how it goes!☺x

      Delete