Wednesday, 27 April 2016

DIY - Clay trinket dish



I've got something a little different for you today, a DIY. For his 8th birthday my little brother got some clay, so we decided we'd have a go. I'd been on the look out for a small bowl/plate for my crystals I just brought and had (what I think was genius) the idea to make my own and you know to blog it. 

This is my first video in this style, so I'd love it if you liked and subscribed to my channel and even leave me a comment. Hopefully this isn't the only video I upload!


I've also done it in photo format, if you prefer check it out below! 

What you will need: 
  • Clay
  • Sculpting tools
  • A glass bowl - the size you want your dish to be 
  • Paint - Acrylic works perfectly well

  • Get your clay and roll into a ball so that it's smooth and easy to work with. 



  • I rolled out my clay so that it was roughly the size and thickness that I wanted it to be. As I didn't have a rolling pin I just used a glass and it worked just well, you don't need anything fancy for this so just use what you have got. 



  • Place the bowl onto of the clay and using a tool, cut round the edge getting rid of any excess clay so that it fit perfectly. 
  • Once you've taken the bowl off neaten any rough edges you still have. 



  • Place your circle of clay into the glass bowl, this can be pressed in as much or as little as you like as this will effect how deep your bowl/dish would be. 
  • To dry keep it in the bowl as this acts as a mould for you clay so that it keeps its shape; It took 1-2 days to dry completely. 




  • Once completely dry, paint on your design. 


I also filmed it, if you prefer a video tutorial, I know sometimes I do. This is my first video in this style, so I'd love it if you liked and subscribed to my channel and even leave me a comment. Hopefully this isn't the only video I upload! 




I've not used clay since I was in Junior school and I forgot how much I enjoyed it, I'm definitely going to be creating more things. I hope you enjoyed this little DIY and I'd love to hear your feedback and even if you have a go yourself! 


Love


No comments:

Post a Comment